An individual's blood pressure is not constant, it varies during the day depending on different factors:
- It decreases at rest and increases with physical activity,
- It falls when asleep,
- It increases with meals,
- It varies with the ambient temperature,
- A strong emotion causes a significant increase (systolic pressure can reach 200 mmHg in a perfectly normal subject)
Knowing this, there are some precautions for use to observe before and during measurement:
- Take your measurements under the same conditions (at the same time of day, on the same arm),
- Relax for 5 minutes before taking a measurement,
- Sit comfortably in a quiet place, feet flat on the floor, without crossing your legs,
- Place the cuff at the same level as your heart. See how to place the cuff properly,
- Don't talk and don't move for the entire measurement,
- Breathe normally.
Please sign in to leave a comment.